Friday, August 1, 2014

Philly to Baltimore Kayak Paddle - Day 2

The river seems to be going to the birds, but in a good way. This day I was leaving Raccoon Creek and headed back to the Delaware River. Raccoon Creek was much quieter this morning. The day before there was an event at the Raccoon Creek Boat Club when I passed. Sweet Caroline was blaring over the P.A. and everyone was singing along. I have to admit I was also singing along to myself. Strange things happen to a man's mind when he paddles all day. It was just before high-tide when I set off in hopes that I would catch the tide going out for most of the day.

Raccoon Creek Boat Club

Raccoon Creek Feeding the Delaware

Immediately after getting back into the Delaware River and heading south, the bald eagles were fleeing the trees along the shore as I would paddle by. A few would circle around to check me out before heading inland. It was interesting to see this behavior. We both seemed to be saying "What are you doing here?"

Bald Eagle in Flight

Not long after I saw something that shocked me altogether; an osprey, a bald eagle and a golden eagle flying out of the same tree. It made me wonder if something had gone horrible wrong with the universe. It sounds like a bad joke, "An osprey, a bald eagle and a golden eagle were in a tree..." The day brought me more eagles and osprey and I quickly lost count.

The tide was rolling now and the paddling came easy. I was making great time as I was nearing the D.O.D. Ponds ahead of schedule. The current was strong as I approached a jetty and as I came around the end I got a good push past it.

Jetty At the D.O.D.

I believe D.O.D. stands for Defense Ordnance Depot. On my last trip here I noticed lots of concrete, rebar and other metal along the shore. I imagine it was put here to keep people out when it was still operated by the military and it is not the most friendly environment for an inflatable kayak. I made sure to stay clear from the shoreline for this stretch until I caught a glimpse of the little beach shown below. This was the perfect spot for an early lunch, complete with a table, chair and two separate receptacles for rash and recycling.

D.O.D. Outdoor Dining Area
The next destination, downstream, was Penns Grove, NJ. The one square-mile town is  surrounded by Carneys Point, NJ, the place where I was raised. The Penns Grove area has been failing developmentally for years. Many of the old classic buildings have been abandoned and have fallen to waste. The once bustling "downtown" area of my youth is all but completely gone. The town itself much resembles the remnants of the old ferry pier that is collapsing into the river.

Abandoned Penns Grove - Wilmington Ferry Pier

I then paddled through Helms Cove and then along the railroad tracks that are just off the shoreline. I hoped a train would pass, but it didn't happen.

When the local ferries were replaced by the Delaware Memorial Bridge and once the duplicate span was made it was the second longest twin span bridge in the world. I never really appreciated the size of this bridge until I was under it.

Del Mem Br

Below the Bridge

Just beyond the Delaware Memorial Bridge was my stopping point for day two. I waited until after breaking down the gear before calling my sister as I was ahead of schedule for the second day in a row.

Public Beach at Church Landing Road, Pennsville, NJ

As I was finishing packing up I walked onto the road to see my aunt and uncle, who now live in Florida. As I approached my uncle to shake his hand I asked, "How far did I go today?!" He assured me I was in the right place and we proceeded catching up.


Another good night with a hearty meal and celebrating the trip-to-point with family. Things were shaping up nicely.

 Day 2: 13 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment