Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Philly to Baltimore Kayak Paddle - Day 3

This day started from the Delaware Memorial Bridge and I was to head to Fort Mott State Park. It was to be the shortest of my days. I had added this day as I was originally planning to paddle from Raccoon Creek to Fort Mott State Park, but decided to add a day as I knew the Delaware could be pretty choppy in this area on a windy day. It turned out that I would not need the extra time to cover the distance. The wind was very light and the river calm.

A Look Back at the Bridge

The water speed picked up at the jetties approaching Riverview Beach Park and I was able to quietly two bald eagles out on the end of a jetty.

Two Bald Eagles 
(one is hiding behind the rock, but you can see its back)

I was surprised to see eagles on this part of the river as it was the most people-populated section of the Delaware I had paddled so far. Other parts of the river are densely populated, but not as continuous over a long stretch. 
I paddled by Riverview Beach Park, home of Septemberfest. Septemberfest starts with a parade past the park. After the parade, the carnival fills the park with rides and games. Fireworks over the river complete the festivities. At some point in the park's history there was a wooden roller coaster and another ferry across the river to Historic New Castle, Delaware.

I then took an early brunch at the Pennsville boat ramp. Here I watched a stand-up paddle boarder leave from the ramp and head right over to Historic New Castle. 
 Kayak at the Boat Ramp (Historic New Castle in the background)
I also got to chat with a fellow kayak paddler "Hugh." Hugh had just stopped by to check out the tide and we talked about my trip and his trips paddling the Grand Canyon. He also had some good information on the eagles I had been seeing. Hugh said they have been finding dead bald eagles along the river. I was a little taken back, but then Hugh explained that they had been killed by other eagles. This is a good sign as eagles are now fighting over the territory, which means a growing population. It made me think back to the bald eagle, golden eagle and osprey I had seen fly from one tree and how fortunate I was to witness it.

I saw a few more bald eagles as I headed past the Killcohook National Wildlife Refuge area. I had made such good time that Heather texted me and suggested I visit Pea Patch Island today instead of the next day how I had planned. Pea Patch Island is the home of Fort Delaware and sits in the middle of the river between Fort Mott and Fort Dupont. I approached the island from the east and came ashore right next to the channel marker which is right on the edge of the island.

Kayak at Pea Patch Island

I scaled the rocks and made my way onto the ground of the fort. As I approached the fort's entrance I noticed a crew of workers wearing Tyvek suits coming out onto the drawbridge over the moat. They looked at me and then looked to each other as if to say "You know this guy?" I asked if the fort was open and they replied that the fort was closed Monday's and Tuesday's (it was currently a Monday). The leader of the crew informed me that they were inside cleaning bat guano. They also informed me that I was to only arrive to the island by ferry. They asked where I had paddled from and I told them from the Delaware Memorial Bridge today, but I had come from Philadelphia two days ago. They said "Oh, take a break. You can't come inside, but feel free to have lunch on the island." So I took lunch under a cherry tree on the island before heading over to Fort Mott, but not before getting of photos of the place.

Fort Delaware Moat and Drawbridge

Moat Floodgate

It would have been nice to get inside, but maybe I will just have to visit the island officially, on the ferry.

Beach at Fort Mott

The tide was still going out as I was making my way across the channel and paddling across the current was a bit of a struggle. I finally pointed the bow slightly in the direction where the current was flowing and paddled toward the shore to the south. This made better time getting toward the shore, just not the shore area where I wanted to go. Once I got closer to the shore I followed the shoreline back north. This is a lesson that repeated as I had to make my way across other channels in coming days.

Kayak Just Off the Beach


Once at the day's destination I carried all of the gear from the beach and called for my ride a hosts for the night. My life-long friend Mike was there in no time. We packed up everything and proceeded to do some Fort Mott exploring. I have not been to Fort Mott in about 20 years, but much was just as I remembered. It is a pretty awesome fortification built into a man-made hillside along the river's edge. Fort Delaware on Pea Patch served as a distraction while Fort Mott would have provided fire from the side. I say would have because Fort Mott was built post civil war and there were no reasons for the guns to be fired other than testing.

Latrines to Moat

I did appreciate the construction shown in he image above. Oh, you want to sneak into my fort from the inland side? Go right ahead. Last night was burrito fiesta night at Fort Mott. Enjoy your swim!

After the short paddling day I had a proper lunch out and then a great afternoon and evening with my friends. Just another reason to paddle down the Delaware River.

 Day 3 Hosts and A Happy Paddler


Day 3: 10 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment