Sunday, August 24, 2014

Philly to Baltimore Kayak Paddle - Day 7

When I woke on Hart-Miller Island and got out of the hammock the sun was already up and the sky was clear. I am usually up with the sun, but this morning I slept later than I usually do when camping. It was a good sleep. I must have been beat.

When I got out of my hammock I noticed my gear and clothes were everywhere. Not that anything got into my stuff, I had just spread everything out at the campsite and the boardwalk. I took some time to explore the boardwalk and campground while eating a Clif Bar and protein bar for breakfast. Since the rangers were due at 8AM I decided to take my time getting ready to set off. It was to be the last day of the trip, my Champs-Élysées, my ride into Paris.

The Sign

View from the Lookout
I waited on the beach until about 8:30, but I wanted to get started so I left. As I paddled south along the shore of the island. As I paddled, I came across the other two campgrounds located on the island; Hawk Cove and Pleasure Island. I then came to the pier where I assume the park rangers get onto the island. There were also park ranger pickup trucks located near the pier, but there were no signs of the rangers. I turned the kayak for one last long look at the island.

It was still a little windy on the last day, but not as bad as the day before and the western shore of Baltimore County was close by. I made my way to the other shoreline and followed it south. There were many waterfront homes along the way. Some people came out into their yards to check me out as I paddled by. I was pretty close to shore and the peering eyes seemed to be filled with suspicion. I made sure to offer a friendly wave, but with no response.

Lighthouse

I came across a sunken barge in the water near the shore. I felt fortunate I had not suffered a similar fate on this trip. While on the water the weather had been fair enough other than one windy and choppy day. I was getting closer to Baltimore and feeling grateful.
Sunken Barge
Just past the collapsed barge I found a public park along the shore. I paddled past a jetty located at the park, landed the kayak and walked back to the park. This would be a good place for lunch.
 Bayshore Park Sign
I continued south and came to a cove. I knew the tide was going out at this poin1t, so I paddled into the cove along the near shore until the cove narrowed. I paddled across to the far shore, stopping a few times to let boaters go by. As I was nearing the city, large piers and docked cargo ships made passing them appear to take forever.

It was taking me longer than expected to get to my destination. As I came into the Fort McHenry Channel, Heather offered to come pick me up at a closer location, but it was all private industrial land at that point. I pressed on, running out of water and becoming exhausted. I was now almost two hours late to my destination, but Heather continued to track me, sending me text with our respective locations. I could see I was close, but it still felt too far away.

Position Screen Shot

As I came to the harbor I went too far to the shore of Fort McHenry. I had to cross back to the other side while things like this passed by.

I got a toot and some waves from this cruise ship as it passed by.
Heather called to alert me to her position and I made my way to her. The trip was over and now it was time for crab cakes.

Assos Man!

Heather was ready with a banana and Gatorade for me. We slowly packed up the gear and kayak and headed for the hotel.

Someone asked me how the trip was and I replied "It was awesome." They asked if I would do it again and I immediately said "No." Before the trip a coworker had asked what I was doing for vacation and when I explained, his reply was "Well that's just crazy." Yeah, I got there, but next time I will probably just take the train.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment