Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Philly to Baltimore Kayak Paddle - Day 4

My father and I watched Smokey and the Bandit a couple of times when I was a kid. Today I would have some encounters with Ol' Smokey of my own.

The day started early at Fort Mott State Park. The goal was to paddle from Fort Mott State Park in New Jersey to Lums Pond State Park in Delaware via the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal. The Chesapeake & Delaware Canal was opened in 1829. It has since gone through many "improvements" to allow larger ships to pass through its water. Today the canal is owned by the United States government, operated and maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The Storming of Fort Dupont

I made landfall in Delaware in good time. While  passing Pea Patch Island a few of the workers I had seen the day before appeared on the roof of Fort Delaware to waive as I was going by. As I came ashore I saw some young Chinese men fishing from the same point where I landed. I had my typical brunch of a Clif Bar and water at a bench while I watched them fish. As I looked on, they reeled in a channel catfish. A small one, but large enough to keep. They yelled for one to run back to the car to get the net. After procuring the net, they scooped the little fella from the water and filled a nearby bucket with water. Then these guys started to try and empty the net of the fish, to no avail. I walked over and asked if I could help get the fish out of the net. I then explained the procedure for "lipping" a catfish while transferring the fish from the net to the bucket.

Catfish Miki

For my efforts I was paid one can of Pepsi. They asked if I was fishing from the kayak and I explained where I came from and where I was going. They thought the trip was pretty cool.

I then proceeded to tour Fort Dupont shoeless as I was had a pretty nasty blister on one of my toes. These are the things you have to worry about on multiple day kayak trips, blisters on your toes. Fort Dupont also appeared to be closed as all of the doors to the buildings were locked.

Fort Dupont Sign

It was now time to paddle on toward the C & D Canal. As I passed the young fishermen we exchanged thumbs up and waives. I made my way through what I believe is the Delaware City Canal, passing many crabbers along the way with full bushels. I then made my way into the C & D Canal and paddled westward. I noticed an old steel ship with a crane boom on the bow doing repair or maintenance on light poles that line the canal. The old boat had a United States flag with another flag flying below. I realized this was an Army Corps of Engineers boat and wondered if they would make their way over to me to inquire. The thing about the C & D Canal is no un-motorized are allowed in the canal. To say I was unaware of this fact before entering the water here would be untrue. I had exchanged emails with the authorities who patrol the waterway and they let me know. After a few weeks of exchanging emails I was told that I should be safe. I may have also been a little misleading when I asked the question if there was a minimum size motor that was required. The reply was "no" and I left it as that, figuring I could always argue that "I am the motor."

St. George's Bridge and Rt. 1 Bridge

It was not long after taking the photo above that I heard a boat's motor slow behind me. I turned and saw the large black letters on the side of the boat and had an idea of who it might be. I continued paddling as they approached and did not turn around until they yelled out for me. One of the three officers asked if I had a permit to be on the water without a motor and explained the laws to me. I pleaded my ignorance of said laws. They then asked how far I planned to go today and I told them to the Summit Point Marina. Fortunately they were headed to the same marina to end their shift. They were super cool about it as we loaded the kayak onto the rear deck and I got to ride up front and we talked about the trip. They told me there were others that have been on multi-day kayak trips that they had to pick from the water, but it is usually a couple. They said this with eyebrows raised as if to say "What the hell are you doing out here by yourself." I then explained that I was meeting friends and family along the way and that I was to meet my brother tonight. They made sure to let me know to tell my brother to drop me off the next morning at Elk River.

D & C Po Po

One was even nice enough to help me carry the kayak up to the parking lot. I told him I was having dinner tonight at the restaurant Aqua Sol which is located at the marina and if he showed up, drinks were one me. He said that he might just show up.

This was another early day for me, but not for similar reasons as the days before. I decided to buy a Gatoraide from the marina store and word traveled fast amongst the workers as I was packing up the kayak as they would come by to ask about the trip and my experience with the police.

This pretty much sums my most common modes of transportation.

Packed Kayak

Before packing up the kayak I walked my backpack to Lums Pond State Park. I saw a sign for the Lums Pond boat ramp and continued past it at first, but I had been walking for a while and thought perhaps there was a park map at the boat ramp. I turned around and headed back to the boat ramp to see. There was no map posted, but there was a state trooper parked near the ramp. I figured "what the hell" and approached the vehicle. I asked if the officer knew how to get to the park entrance. He stated it was right down the road, but he could give me a lift if I wanted. It was all I could do not to lift my arms overhead in victory. He then said I would have to ride in the back and I was going nuts with mental fist pumps. I replied with a simple "Sure. Thanks!" I was let out of the vehicle in front of the park office. As I entered the office under suspicious eyes I said "Oh, I have been causing all sorts of trouble today." I then explained to ease their minds.

I then walked back to the marina where I met my brother and we spent a fantastic evening together dining, shopping (I forgot my hammock straps and had to buy some rope at Cabela's) and hanging out by the campfire. I only get to see my brother a few times a year and I had some great stories to share this time and all of them were from the same day.

Day 4: 11.5 anticipated, approximately 6 paddled

No comments:

Post a Comment